Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question about selling old photo gear?

As I have said here before, my sister and BiL gave me his parents old K1000 kit. The lenses have been great and I'm relearning to set my on aperture and focus manually But what to do with the K1000 body? It appears to be in great shape and functional. KEH would give me around $73 for it. I also have some old Minolta film gear. And right now KEH is offering an extra 10% if you use your gear to buy from them instead of taking cash.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of folks that have gone down the route of selling off older film gear. Thanks.

11-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Keep in mind that KEH won't give a quote on anything less than $100.

QuoteQuote:
Why will you not buy my $100 camera?

Due to the cost of our evaluation process we are only able to give quotes on equipment with a quoted value greater than $100.
If you have additional items to add to your quote, which may increase your quoted price above $100, please add them to your quote.
If you have questions concerning your equipment and/or our quoting process please contact KEH via email at purchasing@keh.com or call one of our buying representatives at 1-800-342-5534.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you.
Donate the body to the local Goodwill, or equivalent, and take the tax deduction.
11-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have never sold anything to KEH but getting $73 for a K1000 is a good deal and I would sell it along with the Minolta. If you need/want some lenses then take the extra 10% and buy from KEH and if not then you are still getting a good deal for the K1000 but I do not know about the Minolta gear.
11-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Keep in mind that KEH won't give a quote on anything less than $100.

Donate the body to the local Goodwill, or equivalent, and take the tax deduction.
This was posted while I was writing my first post so to the OP I would first make sure you are getting something close to $73 for the K1000 otherwise it would not be worth it.

**But do keep in mind that K1000 on this marketplace normally go for <$50.

11-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just bought a K1000 with lenses etc on eBay. One was a Chinon 45/2.8 pancake, ooh ooh! Averaging the cost of each item in the purchase, the K1000 body cost me... US$13. If you can get US$73+ for such, you've done REAL well. Hey, I'd sure like to sell this body for that much! As for Minolta gear... all I can say is, search the COMPLETED LISTINGS on eBay and see how little Minolta stuff goes for. MD lenses are desirable now, and MC's will probably become for so in the future. But I have a pile of MC lenses that just aren't worth selling now. Maxxum/Alpha lenses might be a different story; I haven't been tracking them, since I fairly recently sold a Maxxum system for a pathetically low price. Now is a real good time to buy Minolta, and thus a real lousy time to sell Minolta. F**king supply and demand, eh? Like the market for M50/2's.
11-05-2010, 05:29 AM   #6

I've never found KEH to be a good deal. Dealing directly with an individual seems like a much better option if it can be done.
11-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
But what to do with the K1000 body? It appears to be in great shape and functional.
You could take pictures with it.....just a thought.

11-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
You could take pictures with it.....just a thought.

Thanks but I really DONT want to get back into film. I'm VERY happy with digital.
11-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shusta Quote
I've never found KEH to be a good deal.
I find them very good to deal with. I bought my K100D from them @ $225. It had 2,000 odd actuations. Previously, when using film, I sold them one of my zoom lenses for $110. Plus they have really great customer service. If you buy something and it's not what you thought it would be, send it back to them, no problem and they refund your money and plus your shipping charges.

As for the $100 thing, they'll give you a quote, but if the equipment does come up to $100 they won't buy it. Keep in mind, you can't even trade with them if the camera/s/lenses don't come up to $100 either. I know, I tried.
11-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will throw you a curve here

WHat minolta lenses do you have?

there is now a minolta MD to pentax K adaptor, with optical correction to allow for infinity focus.

the adaptor is like a small TC. Quality is a bit questionable wide open, but stopped down the IQ comes up niicely (at least that is the way the canon and nikon adaptors hebaved)

you might wish to consider it as opposed to selling.

ALso, wrt the K1000. I still have my KX and Ricoh XR2s. I have never sold anything, and occasionally I put a roll of film through them just to see if they still work. Same with my PZ-1/
11-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks folks. I have the distinct advantage of living about 10 miles from KEH. While they do not have a showroom they do allow pick-up and delivery in person. As for the $100 issue and the value of the K1000, the $73 figure was from their online quote service so go figure.

The adapter for Minolta lenses sounds interesting. I have 3 lenses in that kit, a 50, a 70-210 zoom, and a wide angle plus a 2x converter. Thanks for the tip!
11-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shusta Quote
I've never found KEH to be a good deal. Dealing directly with an individual seems like a much better option if it can be done.
The advantage to using KEH is that the equipment is professionally graded and has a 60 day warranty. They also have a 14 day no questions asked return policy. As far as selling to KEH goes, you won't find a better place to sell your camera, if they are buying it. They don't pay as well for lenses, but you also don't have to go through the hassles of eBay or Craigslist.
11-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

$73 from KEH sounds too good to be true, so if you can get it, grab it.