Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Does camera/lens specific image correction software like Dx0 interest you?
Yes, I'd buy it if the lenses I like and use are supported. 2175.00%
No, I have no use for something like that. 725.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Dx0 for Pentax

So... I've been watching this software with some interest after watching a friend work on his images with it. He's a good amateur using a D200 with some pretty nice lenses, and in many images the corrections are not hard to see - and appreciate.

Anyways, Dx0 does support the K10D, but lens support is a bit skimpy at this point, even while appreciating that the Pentax does not have the market share of Nikon and Canon. What is particularly annoying is that lenses that are popular with the Pentax crowd as well as Nikon and Canon - the Sigma 17-70 and Tamron 18-200 for example - are supported on the other platforms but have not been ported over to the Pentax lens list. One can certainly make the argument that lesser lenses that lack the optical clarity and accuracy of the high end lenses benefit far more from a product like DxO than the high end lenses. In short, DxO is a far greater benifit to the average guy with an average budget and average lenses, than the guy who owns the very best the optical world can offer.

Anyways, I wrote to Dx0 to point this out and said I'd be happy to purchase their product if they could expand their Pentax supported lenses a bit more to include the popular ones like the Sigma 17-70, etc. I received the letter below. If any of you reading this think Dx0 might be something you would find useful, you might want to take the time to write an email and add your voice to the fray.

In fact, even if you DON'T have any interest in Dx0, how about writing a short note anyway to help out your fellow Pentaxians who are interested in this software...

Cheers,
Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for taking the time to write. I'm forwarding your message to the
development team for their info and consideration. I urge you and other
Pentax users to use our website form to send your recommendations to our
team as well. What you and other photographers say is important to us.

Kind regards,

Deborah Gallin
Press and External Relations Manager

DxO Labs
3 rue Nationale
92100 Boulogne France
Tel: + 33 (0)1 55 20 55 99
Fax: + 33 (0)1 55 20 55 98
Mobile: + 33 (0)6 24 47 45 61

www.dxo.com
dgallin@dxo.com

10-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Rick,

I've sent my note to Dx0.
10-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hello Rick

I have done likewise and e-mailed DxO too see what's happening......Earlier this year I purchased a Tamron 18-250mm Di II with my K10D and will shortly supplement this with a Sigma 10-20mm DSM when they eventually become available again in the UK.
I have to agree that DxO's support for new lenses appears somewhat slower than I would have anticipated and imagine it's a bit like 'putting the cart before the horse'. I believe that DxO are based in France and were it not for the distance and obvious risks involved, I would be reasonably willing to lend them both these lenses for analysis ! Incidentally, I don't know whether DxO have to actually purchase all the camera bodies and lenses that they use in order to carry out the necessary lab-tests, because it would be inordinately expensive for them to do so if this proved to be the case ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 10-27-2007 at 02:04 PM.