Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, I spoke to a very helpful gentleman at Henrys and it seems I can drive to the Ottawa store and exchange my camera in person, and the Ottawa store has K20's in stock.

Looks like Pat's going to Ottawa with a few lenses and a charged battery tomorrow

I'll try cameras and if I find one that works ok, then I'll spend the rest of the day "testing" the K20 in a musuem.

Pat

02-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #47
BPT
Veteran Member

Hopefully they toss a freebie your way for all that you are going through
02-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #48
Veteran Member

That's a really disheartening thing to read, Pat. Here's hoping you'll get a good camera tomorrow. It's too bad you have to drive 4 hours round-trip to do so, but at least you can make it a photgraphy-trip
02-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
You have no idea how tempted I am to dump pentax completely... this experience is leaving a really sour taste in my mouth.
I feel your pain. There were times I had the same feeling too. Talking lemons, I have bought or seen more Pentax lemons than I would like to remember in the last 9 years. I have gone through 3 brand new FA*200/2.8 which were defective in different ways, and finally Pentax Canada had to source one from Pentax Japan directly. My FA100/2.8 Macro came with a missing screw, my 1st FA77/1.8 bought in Japan with foggy inner elements and peeling matt black paint inside (poor airbrushing obviously), 2 defective FA135/2.8 - 1 with a large piece of lint inside, another with a totally egg shape pupil, 1 defective DS, and my 1st DA16-45/4 was badly misaligned, all purchased brand new. Even my sister said I had such bad luck and amazed that I still bought Pentax. And those Pentax lenses and camera that I still have, I had to perform some repairs or adjustments myself. If I had to rely on others for repair, I would not be with Pentax today because it would be too much hassle. Besides, the authorized service centre in Vancouver really SUCK!!!

02-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I feel your pain. There were times I had the same feeling too. Talking lemons, I have bought or seen more Pentax lemons than I would like to remember in the last 9 years. I have gone through 3 brand new FA*200/2.8 which were defective in different ways, and finally Pentax Canada had to source one from Pentax Japan directly. My FA100/2.8 Macro came with a missing screw, my 1st FA77/1.8 bought in Japan with foggy inner elements and peeling matt black paint inside (poor airbrushing obviously), 2 defective FA135/2.8 - 1 with a large piece of lint inside, another with a totally egg shape pupil, 1 defective DS, and my 1st DA16-45/4 was badly misaligned, all purchased brand new. Even my sister said I had such bad luck and amazed that I still bought Pentax. And those Pentax lenses and camera that I still have, I had to perform some repairs or adjustments myself. If I had to rely on others for repair, I would not be with Pentax today because it would be too much hassle. Besides, the authorized service centre in Vancouver really SUCK!!!
This is so sad to read. In the 1980s when Kaz was the manager, the Vancouver Pentax Canada service centre was top notch. I used to take my LXes in every year for a checkup and service. They always came back in top form.

Jack
02-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
This is so sad to read. In the 1980s when Kaz was the manager, the Vancouver Pentax Canada service centre was top notch. I used to take my LXes in every year for a checkup and service. They always came back in top form.
Oh I didn't mean the Pentax owned service centre, but the authorized one when the Vancouver office was closed down. Great service from the Vancouver office even though I could be a pain in the axx sometimes. But the authozied one now? I would not let them touch my gears.
02-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'm back from the Henrys retail store in Ottawa and I have a new K20d that seems to work perfectly. I say "seems" as up to now I have not had a problem with it and I am cautiously optimistic... (just hoping the intermitent SD card access freezing problem doesn't crop up!)

I went to Ottawa with a charged battery and the 2 lenses I use the most.

I tried it and another camera for nearly half an hour in the store, it seemed to be working properly, and since I got home I've been playing with it for the last hour. I found my DA55-300 to be spot on, and my Tammy 17-50 needing a small focus ajustment (-3) to be spot on.

The salesman at the counter of the Bank Street Ottawa store was EXTREMELY patient with me as tried the cameras and put them thru their paces, so a big thanks goes out to him!

Also I received an email from Henrys Online Sales while I was in Ottawa offering to pay for shipping to change the camera again, or have it repaired by Pentax. Now thats service! A big thanks to the folks at the other end of the info@henrys.com email.

I didn't stick around Ottawa to check out a musuem as the weather folks were calling for snow in late afternoon, so I drove up and came right back (ends up they were wrong, it was sunny all day!). Fortunately I had yesterdays "Bob and Tom show" in my Ipod to keep me company all the way and back

Pat

02-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alan ... I can't believe after so much bad luck you stuck to Pentax! You are a LOT more patient than I am.

RBellavance ... Well, it was a relaxing trip, and once you get to the Ontario border the highway is SOOOO nice that it was a nice pleasant drive.

BPT ... Heck I didn't even want a freebie... all I wanted was a camera that works properly But of course while I was there I did buy a Manfrotto #234 swivel head for my monopod, and a giotto rocket blower... you know how it is... it's impossible to go into a camera store and leave without some gadget

Pat
02-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Alan ... I can't believe after so much bad luck you stuck to Pentax! You are a LOT more patient than I am.

RBellavance ... Well, it was a relaxing trip, and once you get to the Ontario border the highway is SOOOO nice that it was a nice pleasant drive.

BPT ... Heck I didn't even want a freebie... all I wanted was a camera that works properly But of course while I was there I did buy a Manfrotto #234 swivel head for my monopod, and a giotto rocket blower... you know how it is... it's impossible to go into a camera store and leave without some gadget

Pat

Hope the third time's the charm for you!
02-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I'm glad to read that things seems to be working out at last. Have fun and take a lot of pictures.
02-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #56
Veteran Member

ve2vfd: glad to hear it's turning out alright. have a lot of fun, now!

wlachan: i know your kind! in my "field" we call people like you qa nightmares: the guys who always get the bugs, who always find the problems (and many times, through natural "bias", they tend to be more careful and observing of small issues than the rest, too). you are the people where the nice gaussian curve is broken (some say, in order to make room for some opposite extreme). it has to be hard. but generally, i seem to notice gauss is on their side in (most) other respects, so what goes around sort of comes around (true?)
02-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #57
Forum Member

Good to hear!! I've posted before my nearly three months of frustration with focus adjustment on ALL of my lenses ( thought all my nice photos with my k100d where beginers luck......and that I had wasted $1200 on the K20d ) finally sucked up my pride and went back to Henry's the guy at the counter ( knew me, but wasn't the kid I bought my camera from ) took five pictures with my 50 f1.4 on my body and the display counter body......said "wow there's a serious calibration problem here..." twenty minutes later I was walking out the door with a new body and great appreciation for HENRY'S!!

Try that at Best Buy or some fly by night FleaBay dealer THREE MONTHS after purchase ( I'll bet I had 4000 + accutations on that body ) Can't say enough about the service level and knowledge they have in their stores............my only knock is that ALL the sales people are in bed with Canon/Nikon/Sony but if you speak Pentax, they are able to step down from the ivory tower to talk your language!

Henry's has a great online program and flyer too for all of you not fortunate enough to live in the great white north!

ve2vfd......now lets see some pics!!

John